Thursday, July 24
Session 1: The future of the appraisal
9AM to Noon
Where are we now and where are we going?
Appraisers are very concerned about the future of their profession. Hear
what the speakers say and make your own forecast!
- Will the last appraiser standing turn
out the light?
- What will lenders want in the future?
- Will we all be doing drivebys and AVMs?
- What changes are coming for appraisal
- Whatís the future of commercial
Moderator: George Opelka, ACI
Session 2: Cool Tools - emerging technologies that
streamline appraisal productivity
- Henry Harrison, MAI, SRA, ASA,
Real Estate Valuation magazine, speaker, writer, and appraisal
- Bill Rayburn, MAI, SRA, PhD is a
popular, dynamic speaker who knows whatís happening today and where
we are going
Appraisal technology is changing fast. You will learn new technologies
you can use today and whatís coming in the future.
- What are appraisers using now?
- Whatís coming in the future?
- How do we get ready for the future?
- When to buy now, and when to wait
- Which tech tools really increase
Moderator - Mary Dum, appraisal
computer guru and editor of the REAMUG Journal
Wayne Pugh, SRPA, CRE, owns Software for Real Estate Professionals, a
forms software company, and is a practicing appraiser with over 20 years
of experience. He knows about all the latest tech stuff for appraisers,
and writes an article on technology for appraisers, Cool Tools.
1:30PM to 5:30PM
Session 1: How to find what you need on the
Appraisers' use of the Internet is increasing rapidly. But how can you
find what you need without wasting lots of time? You will learn how to
find what you need using search tools and techniques. The session will go
way beyond just a list of Web sites that arenít relevant for your
appraisals, or that we canít find when we need it.
- How to find what you need without
- Tips for tough searches.
- What are the best search tools?
- How reliable is the information on Web
- How to find free demographics, sales
data, census tracts, - Fannie Mae guidelines, etc.
- Managing your bookmarks
Moderator - Jeff Bradford,
Speaker: Michael Cartwright, ASA, is
"the" Appraisal Internet Search Guru.
Session 2: What do underwriters really want?
Most appraisers deal with underwriters on a regular basis, but few
know much about them. You will hear from a panel of underwriters
discussing appraisal issues.
- What do underwriters really do?
- Why are there so many different
- What are the requirements to become an
- How do underwriters review appraisals?
Moderator: Corina Rollins,
appraiser and teacher
- Bonnie W. Remers, Regional
- Anne C. Smith, Senior Underwriter
Friday, July 25
9AM to Noon
USPAP in the real world
Does USPAP help, or hinder, appraisers? We are all subject to USPAP
but how do we apply it to real world situations?
- Should USPAP be abolished?
- Does USPAP help, or hinder, appraisers?
- Why does USPAP change every year?
- What changes are coming for 2004 (and
- Does anyone understand Departure?
Moderator: David Snook, former ASB
How to minimize your appraisal
Speaker: Danny Wiley, SRA, chair of the Appraisal Standards
Board and a practicing appraiser. He knows what questions appraisers have
about USPAP, and can answer them.
Lawsuits against appraisers are increasing every year. Our speakers have
good advice on how appraisers can keep out of trouble.
- How can you minimize your chances of
getting named in a lawsuit?
- Should you have E&O insurance?
- What are risky practices?
- Who sues appraisers?
Moderator: Richard Betts, MAI, SRA,
- Lindsay McMenamin is an attorney
who defends appraisers against lawsuits. Before becoming an attorney she
was a practicing appraiser for over 20 years and was very active in the
- John Brenan, Chief, Licensing and
Office of Real Estate Appraisers (California)
1:00PM to 5:00PM
Residential hot topics
Residential appraising is changing fast. How can you adapt to the changes?
This session will cover the latest topics of concern to appraisers.
- Appraiser pressure - is there any
- How many comps are enough?
- Are there any good mortgage brokers?
- Can we get rid of rid of unethical
Moderator: Deane Wilson, ASA
- Danny Wiley, SRA, is the
chair of the Appraisal Standards Board and a practicing appraiser. He
knows what issues are important to appraisers, and have practical advice.
- Karen Mann, SRA, ASA, Fremont, CA.
Who has the best data?
Our speakers have many years in the data
and appraisal businesses. If you want some new ideas about the appraisal
profession, where were are coming from, where we are now, and where we are
going, attend this session!!
- Why does data vary so much?
- Who buys data and how do they use it?
- Who sells data?
- How can appraisers add value beyond
Moderator: Bruce Hahn, SRA, ASA
Neil Olson is the former president of CMDC Data, one of the oldest
appraisal data collectives. He has been working in the appraisal data
field for many years and is FNC, Inc.'s Chief Strategic Officer.
- Lewis Allen, IFA, has over 20 years of
appraisal experience, has operated his own data company, and advises many
national companies on data issues.