This article was written in 2002 and was a Blast From the Past and most of the material was removed. There have been significant changes since then,such as Facebook groups, etc..
I wrote a long article about this topic in the September 2014 issue of my paid monthly Appraisal Today newsletter. $99 per year or (credit card only) $8.25 per month, $24.75 per quarter or $89 per year. For more info, go to https://www.appraisaltoday.com/products
Most appraisers are in one-appraiser firms, or have only a few appraisers. Communicating with other appraisers can be very valuable.
What would you want to discuss? Here are just a few of the topics discussed on appraiser mailing lists and chat boards.
- How to appraise a cemetery.
- Whether a prospective client pays promptly.
- The future of appraising.
- Regulatory issues.
- What’s the best software?
- What’s the best digital camera?
- How to get started in appraising.
- How to get more business.
Commercial appraiser tips:
- Most participants in the email lists and chat boards are residential appraisers, as the vast majority of appraisers are residential.