The appraisal business has changed significantly. We regularly have updates of the free articles on business topics below and other business. We also write about appraisal topics important to appraisal businesses. For example, since late 2014 we have written many articles about Collateral Underwriter, AMCs and adjustments
I write about appraisal business issues in my paid monthly Appraisal Today newsletter. $99 per year or (credit card only)$8.25 per month, $24.75 per quarter or $89 per year.
For more info, go to https://www.appraisaltoday.com/products
Some of the articles below are a Blast From the Past! On the top of each article, I have indicated what is out of date and what is relevant today.
I started my paid newsletter in 1992 and my first appraisal web site in 1998. Many of these articles on the list below were written in the 1990s and early 2000s. A few years ago I started taking off all the old, out of date, articles. But I realized that it was a good source of how appraising has changed over the years so I quit removing them, such as appraiser directories and AMCs. Many of the “classic” business article topics, such as Can you sell your appraisal business, have not changed since they were first written. Others, such as AVMs, have not changed much except for the vendors trying to sell their AVMs.
Managing an appraisal business is much easier than businesses such as restaurants, which are much more management intensive. However, very few appraisal businesses are large enough to support owners/managers who are also not producers, doing appraisals and/or reviewing staff work.
Below are articles previously published in Appraisal Today on popular management topics for appraisers.
Every month Appraisal Today newsletter has articles on business topics and other hot appraisal topics!
Marketing tips – most of these articles are “classics” that are relevant today.
- 59 Ways to Market Your Appraisal Services
- Appraisal Management Companies: Should You Work for Them?
- Appraisals for Estate and Probate Predicted to Increase
- How to Have Business Come to You – Always Ask, Always Tell
- The Customer Is Not Always Right
A few of the recent Marketing articles available in the paid Appraisal Today newsletter
- What lenders don’t use AMCs and how to get work from them – VA, local banks, mortgage companies, hard money, etc.
- Your Web Site – the easiest and fastest way to get non-AMC work!
- Staying positive with unreasonable fees and Scope Creep from AMCs
Financial tips – most of these articles are “classics” that are relevant today.
- 51 Ways to Cut Costs and Increase Cash Flow
- Can you sell your appraisal business?
- Collections – The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease!
- How to Increase Cash Availability
- Internal Cash Controls Keep Your Employees Honest
A few of the recent Financial articles available in the paid Appraisal Today newsletter
- Will you still be appraising when you’re 85 (or 90)?
- E&O Insurance Update – liability threats, state board complaints, etc. List of E&O insurance companies. Don’t just look at the cost. Beware!!
- Year-end tax planning for appraisers. What you can do now to save money on your taxes!! Published every year in December.
Increasing productivity – Some of these topics are regularly updated in the paid Appraisal Today newsletter as technology changes
- Don’t be a slave to your telephone
- How to increase productivity without spending any money
- How to Manage Your Email
- Increase Productivity by Delegating
Blasts from the Past – a little bit of history. Mostly about the early days of the Internet for appraisers
- The future of residential appraising SRA requirements were decreasing
- The ideal appraisal forms software Some is still relevant today!!
- How to Communicate with Other Appraisers Online Using Email Lists and Chat Boards – the early days of the Internet for appraisers.
- Internet Tips and Tricks for Appraisers – the early days of the Internet for appraisers.
- Netiquette and Smileys – the early days of the Internet for appraisers. A reminder of what we should be doing today.
- Use appraiser directories to get your firm on the Internet Although they are much less popular for marketing now, they are very useful for finding appraisers, although contact info is often missin
- Where to get your appraisal web site listed
A few of the recent Internet articles available in the paid Appraisal Today newsletter
- How to connect with other appraisers online. What’s the best group for you?
- The Internet, Big Data and the Art of Appraising. The past, the present and the future.
Hiring appraisers and trainees – Still relevant today
- A Serious Learning Gap for New Appraisers and Advice for Finding a Mentor
- Advice for appraisal trainees and persons considering an appraisal career
- Fee splits – too high or too low?
- To hire or not to hire – that is the question
- What is a “good” appraiser?
Every month Appraisal Today newsletter has articles on business topics.