To keep up on what is happening in appraisal businesses, mortgage lending, USPAP, etc. , Plus humor and strange homes, sign up for my FREE weekly appraisal email newsletter, sent since June 1994. Go to Home on the left side of the menu at the top of this page or go to www.appraisaltoday.com
Sign up in the Big Yellow Boxes
I regularly write about hot topics in appraising and appraisal business management issues
in my paid Appraisal Today monthly newsletter.
$99 per year or (credit card only) $8.25 per month, $24.75 per quarter, or $89 per year.
For more info, go to https://www.appraisaltoday.com/order
Marketing and Management Tips for Appraisers
9-23 Update. Appraisal business is down in many areas. In early 2022, my monthly Appraisal Today started focusing on getting non-lender appraisals and increasing your lender appraisals.
To see topics in the recent newsletters, click here
To subscribe to the newsletter, go to www.appraisaltoday.com/order
I want to help appraisers. started My paid newsletter started in 1992. My free weekly newsletter started in 1994. Many of the “classic” business article topics, such as Can you sell your appraisal business, have not changed much since they were first written. Others have changed significantly, especially with new technology.
I want to give appraisers marketing and management tips. I learned a lot in graduate business school and managing my appraisal and publishing businesses.
Managing an appraisal business is much easier than businesses such as restaurants, which are much more management intensive. However, very few appraisal businesses are large enough to support owners/managers who are also not producers, doing appraisals and/or reviewing staff work.
Below are articles previously published in Appraisal Today on popular management topics for appraisers. Every month Appraisal Today newsletter has articles on business topics and hot appraisal topics!
APPRAISAL SAMPLE BUSINESS ARTICLES FROM THE MONTHLY APPRAISAL TODAY NEWSLETTER
- But Fannie Mae says I don’t have to do the Cost Approach!! 9-20
- Reduce your liability: Sample disclaimers/statements for your appraisals 7-20
- Entrepreneur, technician, and manager – the three conflicting roles of fee appraisers 2-02
- How to Get Your Appraisal Firm on the Internet
- 59 Ways to Market Your Appraisal Services
- Appraisal Management Companies: Should You Work for Them?
- Appraisals for Estates and Trusts The September and October 2022 issues had long articles on this topic and many other types of non-lender work in other issues. For more info click here
- How to Have Business Come to You – Always Ask, Always Tell
- The Customer Is Not Always Right
A few of the recent Marketing articles available in the paid Appraisal Today newsletter
- What lenders don’t use AMCs and how to get work from them – VA, local banks, mortgage companies, hard money, etc.
- Your Web Site – the easiest and fastest way to get non-AMC work!
- Staying positive with unreasonable fees and Scope Creep from AMCs
- Can you sell your appraisal business?
- Collections – The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease!
- How to Increase Cash Availability
- Internal Cash Controls Keep Your Employees Honest
A few of the recent Financial articles available in the paid Appraisal Today newsletter
- Will you still be appraising when you’re 85 (or 90)?
- E&O Insurance Update – liability threats, state board complaints, etc. List of E&O insurance companies. Don’t just look at the cost. Beware!!
- Year-end tax planning for appraisers. What you can do now to save money on your taxes!! Published every year in December.
A few of the recent Internet articles available in the paid Appraisal Today newsletter
- How to connect with other appraisers online.
- How to get a web site for your business
Hiring appraisers and trainees
- Using Independent Contractors – Be Careful!!
- Fee splits – too high or too low?What is a “good” appraiser?
Blasts from the Past! A little bit of history.
- The future of residential appraising SRA requirements was decreasing
- The ideal appraisal forms software Some are still relevant today!!
- How to Communicate with Other Appraisers Online Using Email Lists and Chat Boards – the early days of the Internet for appraisers.
- Internet Tips and Tricks for Appraisers – the early days of the Internet for appraisers.
- Netiquette and Smileys – A reminder of what we should be doing today.
Every month Appraisal Today newsletter has articles on business topics.