PLEASE SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE FOR FREE SPECIAL REPORTS
AND 18+ MONTHS OF PAST ISSUES
- Expert witness for residential appraisers – Yes, No or Maybe
- The Appraisal Industry at the Crossroads of Change and Re-invention By Tony Pistilli
- Five Powerful Software Progams for Every Real Estate Appraiser By Wayne Pugh
- What is a Bedroom?
- How to get referrals from real estate agents
- Home measurement services – how to use your appraisal skills to make money
If you lose this link:
1. Save the monthly email
2. Send an email to email@example.com requesting the link
Marketing for Appraisers Book. Written in 2008, so it does not have much info on AMCs, but lots of info on marketing that
applies to all types of clients, such as attorneys, public agencies, relocation, etc.
USPAP Enforcement Table 2018 By Barry Bates
Issue index – an easy way to find the articles and topics you want!
FREE SPECIAL REPORTS!! Click the links to download
Legal and Tax-related Appraisals Special Report
Estate/trust appraising – Good, steady business, no hassles
Relocation appraising – Much higher fees than lender work.
Past issues 2016 – 2019
- How to collect all your billings. Don’t work for free!!
- Planning for 2019 – Set up a budget to manage your income and expenses
- New Year’s Resolutions. Set goals for 2019 and how you will accomplish them
- How to get business by networking at meetings
- Your Website – the easiest and fastest way to get non-lender work!!
- 2018 year-end tax planning for appraisers. What you can do now to save on your 2018 taxes
- Marketing with holiday gifts and cards – an Easy and Most Excellent Marketing Tool!!
- InRoute Planner – map your real estate data with the quickest route
- Business slow? Non-lender appraisals are an excellent option! Full Fees, No AMCs, No CU, No UAD!!
- Speaking at real estate sales meetings is an easy way to market your business
- Why you should join an appraisal association by Joseph Lynch
- Network of state appraisal associations (NSAO) contact list
- Appraisal Organizations List
- Should you do non-lender work? Pluses and minuses of both lender appraisals and each different type of non-lender appraisal.
- Relocation appraisals – clients that pay well and really want to know what a property is worth By Rachel Massey, SRA, AI-RRS
- How an NMLS-Type Structure for Valuation Benefits Appraisers, Lenders, and Consumers by James Murrett, MAI, SRA
- What is the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS)?
- Answers and Solutions for Tough Appraiser Questions & Client Demands. A Reference Guide to Associated Laws, Rules, and Regulations, Volume One (Book Review) By Richard Hagar, SRA Buy This Book!! Plus two Sample Q&As and full Table of Contents
- Why, Why, Why? Why do we put “stats”, “graphs”, “data,” and “science” together? By George Dell MAI, SRA, ASA, CDEI
- Disability – your greatest risk
- How to get started in commercial appraising: 5+ unit apartments
- Protecting your privacy. Are Facebook, Uber, Amazon and Apple tracking you? By Wayne Pugh MAI, CRE, CCIM, FRICS
- Appraising – from the Middle Ages to now Michael Yovino-Young
- Appraising over 3,000 years ago
- Appraisers and the Big Short: Tricks & Traps for Avoiding Market Blindness by Barry Bates
- “Retirement” for fee appraises: when, why, and lots of options
- Residential vs. commercial lender fee appraisals-fee, reports, reviews, etc.
- 2018 E&O Insurance Update – where to get E&O insurance, state board complaints, your biggest risks, etc.
- Valuation by Comparison, 2nd Edition. Buy This Book!!
- Tips, Trends & Takeaways: What is Happening with E&O Insurance Today By Elaine Matternas
- Fannie: Inspection waivers, hybrids, UAD and forms changes – where is residential lender appraising going? Part 1
- What’s new at the ASB and AQB? Hybrids, ASB online forum, experience practicum, etc.
- Use Evernote to easily organize your data by Wayne Pugh, MAI, CR3E, FRICS, CCIM
- Preface to The Enforcement Table: Competence, Ethics and Fraud
- The USPAP Enforcement Table by Barry Bates
- Will another profession replace appraisers? By George Dell, MAI, SRA, ASA, CDEI
- What’s up with Fannie’s CU? Public records, comps, Risk Scores, peer data discrepancies, new forms, UAD changes etc.
- Collateral Underwriter or Collateral Underminer: Risk Score Manipulation? By Brian Musto
- What really happens with State Regulator USPAP Enforcement? By Barry Bates
- Temptations in the 1004 by field name. Error or Ethics? Competence or Conduct? Most often? Which? by Barry Bates
- Quick Start – how to get non-lender work ASAP – Part 1
- Mom, Dad, when I grow up, I want to be an appraiser! By Barry Bates
- What will happen to residential mortgage lending in 2018?
- Why I am an appraiser
- What being designated means to me by Rachel Massey, SRA, AI-RRS
- Fujitsu Scan Snap iX500 scanner – fast, easy to use By R. Wayne Pugh, MAI
- What is a functionally obsolete appraiser? by Richard Hagar, SRA
- Staying positive with unreasonable fees, excessive Scope Creep from AMCs, etc.
- New liability issues: Hybrid appraisals, appraiser identity fraud, etc.
- Do you have to be crazy to appraise real estate? By Barry Bates
- How to connect with appraisers online. What’s the best way for you?
- Is there a ban on evidence based valuation? by George Dell, MAI, SRA, ASA, CDEI
- Is it jUSt PAP? by Barry Bates
- How the new tax law affects appraisal businesses -pass-throughs and estate tax
- 2018-2019 USPAP – What You Need To Know
- How to get into trouble: 8 Great ways for real estate appraisers!! By Barry Bates
- Mile IQ – an easy way to track your mileage and have an audit-proof tax return By Wayne Pugh, MAI, CRE, CCIM, FRICS
- Estate and trust- the most popular non-lender appraisals, Part 2
- Estate/trust liability advice from Peter Christensen, Liability Insurance Administrators
- Fannie and Freddie, The Ill Conceived Siblings It’s All About The Money! By Barry Bates
- 2017 year-end tax planning for appraisers. What you can do now to save on taxes.
- An Appraiser Gets Audited by the IRS! My Story…
- Appraisals for estates and trust – the most popular non-lender appraisals Part 1
- Fannie and Freddie are Not Your Friends by Barry Bates
- Is the Traditional Appraisal Process Becoming Obsolete? By George Dell MAI, SRA
- What’s happening in state and federal appraisal regulations? Statute of limitations, Evaluations, AVM QC, Appraisal Waivers, Etc.
- Geocam Pro – get augmented geo data in your smartphone photos by Wayne Pugh MAI, CRE, FRICS, CCIM. This is a great inexpensive app!!
- Horror (& Harhar) Tales from the Field (aka War Stories) from beginners, veterans, and ancient valuers by Barry Bates My favorite is the Short Appraisal Tales with the Fun Headlines!!
2017 E&O Insurance Update – where to get E&O insurance, state board complaints – your biggest risk, etc.
The Shape Shifting Appraiser. What are the 2027 Options for Appraisers? by Barry Bates
Fannie and Freddie – what do they really say about risk scores, 1004mc, forms redesign, data discrepancies, etc.?
Housing values in Colorado are going up in smoke (All About Marijuana) by Tony Pistilli
Vacation time for appraisers. Just Do It!! by Doug Smith. A Timely Topic!!
Working on the regulatory side: the Future of the Residential Appraiser (Part Deux) by Barry Bates.
Appraisal Today newsletter 25th Anniversary!! Changes over the past 25 years. What a wild ride it has been!! Fees, AMCs, Fannie, etc. etc.
Survival for the residential appraiser: How I learned to stop working and love the AVM that put me out of business! By Barry Bates
Fannie Fiction and Fact: comp selection, adjustments, market conditions, appraisal resubmissions, and lots more, including AQM and Risk Scores.
Fannie Mae allows trainees. – will it make a difference? by Alan F. Simmons, SRPA
The cutting edge and user friendly way to schedule home appraisals.. are you ready?
Appraisal Today! No Appraisal Tomorrow? by Barry Bates. Very interesting and humorous analysis of appraising from the past to today, focusing on AVMs plus other hot issues.
How to get near the top of Google searches for FREE with no web site required!!
Residential Cost Approach Part 2 – Reconciliation, obsolescence, sample comments By Denis Desaix, MAI, SRA
Get started in attorney work by doing divorce appraisals – much higher fees, no UAD, no underwriters, no AMCs
Why Does Regression Not Work? By George Dell, MAI, SRA, ASA
Is there really an appraisal shortage now? Info from a recent webinar with interesting data and comments from Fannie and others
Residential Cost Approach: complying with USPAP when lenders require the Cost Approach
How to get started in commercial appraising: 5+ unit apts. Higher fees, steadier work, no AMCs, etc.
Appraiser surveys: blacklisting, regs/enforcement, background checks, pressure, liability issues, etc.
Seeing the forest through the trees. Look at your adjusted comp sales price range.
Residential Highest and Best Use Analysis: more than Just a “Check box”
Fee and turn time surveys – appraisers vs. lenders
Mortgage volume change graph 2013-2017
Is the New AMC business model broken?
Meet the New Boss – CU by Jared Mickel, SRA, RG.
New Year’s resolutions for 2017. Set goals for 2017 and how you will accomplish them!
What’s up in technology – TracR by Wayne Pugh, MAI, CRE, CCIM, FRICS
2016 year-end tax planning for appraisers. What you can do now to save money on your 2016 taxes!!
Marketing with holiday gifts and cards. An Easy and Most Excellent marketing tool
Practical tips for dealing with complex residential appraisals
Fannie’s Property Inspection Waiver (no appraisal) available December 10, 2016. What does it mean for you?
How appraisers get into trouble using email, social media, online postings, face-to-face conversations, etc. Is there any communication that is private?
State Appraisal Boards: Appraiser Discipline and E&O Insurance By Peter Christensen
Want to do appraisals for lenders but not for AMCs? Private money lending – no UAD or CE, computer “reviewers”, or being treated like you kow nothing!!
Fees are going way up!! How to get higher appraisal fees during this boom time By Ann O’Rourke, MAI, SRA and Doug Smith, SRA, AI-RRS How Corelogic’s purchase of RELS last year started the fee increases and lots more info.
USPAP 2017-2019 2nd Exposure Draft – what has changed? Comments due by October 14, 2015. Draft reports just won’t go away.
Pro Camera 9 – a great photo app for appraisers – only $4.99!! by Wayne Pugh, MAI, SRA
Appraisal Today 9-16 issue – traditional 3-column format
Appraisal Today 9-16 issue no columns – wordprocessing style – read on your computer or tablet
AMCs tell all to residential appraisers by Joe Lynch
Real Estate Damages, third edition, 3rd Edition, an excellent book
The Art of Appraising-what Big Data and Analysis misses and what it means for you
GLA adjustments using cost per sq.ft. method – understandable and easy to use by Dave Towne
Will Collateral Underwriter destroy residential lender appraising?
Manage multiple appraisal deadlines to increase your productivity by Doug Smith, SRA, AI-RRS
Two reasons why appraisers should not use statistics by George Dell MAI, SRA, ASA
Who’s on your approved client list and why?
Client Rating Grid
Who are your most and least profitable clients? Look at how much you make per hour, not just the fee
Sample Time Sheet
How to manage your email to save time and reduce your stress!!
Using regression analysis in everyday appraisal practice by Doug Smith, SRA
LandGlide Review By Wayne Pugh, MAI, CRE, CCIM, FRICS
Comments on last month’s E&O article
2016 E&O Insurance Update – where to get E&O, prior acts, state board complaints, E&O Myth
How do upgrades affect UAD Condition and Quality Ratings? By Rachel Massey, AI-RRS
Q&A – FHA attic inspection requirements by Doug Smith, SRA, AI-RRS
Practical tips on qualifying the 1004MC and preparing a Market Conditions Summary
Data Science. What is it? What does it mean for appraisers?
No man’s land & the aggressive real estate market
How to handle rapidly increasing prices in your market
What is a bedroom? by Doug Smith, SRA, AI-RRS
Issues with the 1004mc – a closer look by George Dell, MAI, SRA, ASA
What’s up in technology by Wayne Pugh, MAI, CRE, CCIM, FRICS
Your Web Site – the easiest and fastest way to get non-AMC work!
Adjustment, Part 2 – what are the best adjustment methods for your market?
Reviewer as mind reader by Rachel Massey, SRA, AI-RSS
Curable Queries – Bracketing and SFR vs. Duplex by Doug Smith, SRA, AI-RSS
1004MC – the good, the bad, and what Fannie says
Statistical errors in the 1004MC by George Dell, MAI, SRA
Adjustments Part 1 – Are you making too many adjustments?
Identifying Residential Architectural Styles by Mark Nadeau, SRA – Book review
Two good, practical residential books, with very good tips on adjustments – Book reviews
The Dictionary of Real Estate Appraisal, 6th Edition – Book review
Support vs. proof for adjustments by Bob Keith
The Internet, Big Data and the Art of Appraising. The past, the present and the future.
Setting appraiser New Year’s resolutions for 2016 and how to accomplish your goals
Include an Executive Summary in your appraisal reports By Dave Towne
A Catfight over Appraisal Standards, The Decline and Fall of the Residential Appraiser, etc. By Owen Glendower